Thursday, May 6, 2010

how do you escape from remedial?

(This post was written after i already decided not to carry on Teaching at this point of my life)

I noticed as a teacher watching over ten year olds that they love using the word "escape". "Teacher, Tom (fake name) escaped from remedial again!" or,
"Miss Chan, Sabrina ran home again! She don't want to go for supplementary class."
I will chuckle to myself, first of all, at how they complain or report to me about each other, and two, wondering how at such a young age, they know what it means to "escape" or run away from something.And i laugh at myself even more as one time i remember literally chasing one of my little boys as he ran out of school....schoolbag and all. He finally stopped after i grabbed his bag and came face to face with him. I decided to ask him, "So, do you WANT to come for remedial?" He sheepishly but honestly said "No," shaking his head with a grin. I gave up. "Ok, you decide, But please, make sure you do ALL your Math homework." "OK!" And he ran off.

On one hand, i don't agree with the way primary school teachers were too fierce (some of them) during my generation. So I don't want to use the same methods which dampened the joy of childhood in me. But sometimes, some, just some, of these kids NEED the structure of chiding and very firm instructions or even "You don't have a choice. You have to go." BUT, even then, i still choose to give them the choice of decision making FOR themselves. Because they are going to run their own lives in the end, not me.

And you know, when you believe in a dynamic God that doesn't believe that relationship is just about sitting there and being still or meditating in order to hear Him speaking, that you CAN move around or even run and talk to Him still, even while working or doing something, you can talk to Him, just as LONG as you keep that relationship with Him, and the conversation flowing, doesn't that make you excited, that He is a Just but Merciful God?

No comments: